Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment is a dental procedure that can save a tooth that is infected or damaged inside. It involves removing the soft tissue (pulp) from the centre of the tooth, cleaning and disinfecting the space, and filling and sealing it with a material. Root canal treatment can relieve pain, prevent further infection, and restore the function and appearance of the tooth.
At O’Connor Dental Surgery, we offer safe and comfortable root canal treatment for various reasons, such as:
• Severe tooth decay that has reached the pulp and caused pain or infection
• Tooth injury that has exposed or damaged the pulp and caused inflammation or bleeding
• Tooth wear or cracks that have allowed bacteria to enter and infect the pulp
• Previous dental work that has injured or irritated the pulp
We use the latest technology and techniques to ensure a smooth and painless root canal treatment process. We also provide you with personalised care and advice on how to prepare for and recover from the treatment.
The process of getting a root canal treatment usually involves two or more visits to our dental clinic. During the first visit, we will:
• Examine your tooth and take x-rays to assess the condition and position of the pulp
• Use a local anaesthetic to numb the area around your tooth and make you comfortable during the procedure
• Place a rubber sheet (dam) over your tooth to keep the area clean and dry
• Make a small opening in the top of your tooth and remove the pulp using special instruments
• Clean and disinfect the space inside your tooth and shape it to fit the filling material
• Place a temporary filling over the opening to protect your tooth until the next visit
During the second visit, we will:
• Remove the temporary filling and check the healing of your tooth
• Fill and seal the space inside your tooth with a material called gutta-percha
• Restore the top of your tooth with a filling or a crown to strengthen and protect it
• Give you instructions on how to care for your tooth and prevent complications
The recovery time after a root canal treatment varies depending on the type and condition of your tooth. You may experience some sensitivity or soreness for a few days, which can be managed by painkillers and soft foods. You should also avoid biting or chewing on the treated tooth until it is fully restored. You should brush and floss your teeth gently, avoiding the treated area. You should also visit us for a follow-up appointment to check the healing and the restoration of your tooth.
Root canal treatment is a common and effective way to treat dental problems and improve your oral health and quality of life. By visiting us regularly and following our instructions, you can ensure a successful and speedy recovery.
If you want to learn more about root canal treatment and how it can benefit you, please contact us or book an appointment online. We are happy to answer your questions and provide you with the best dental care possible.