Regular Dental Check Up :
Regular Dental Check Up: Why You Need It and What to Expect
A regular dental checkup is a preventive measure that helps you maintain good oral health and avoid dental problems. It involves a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth by a dental practitioner and a professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar.
Why do you need a regular dental checkup?
A regular dental checkup can help you with the following:
• Prevent gum disease, which is a common cause of tooth loss and bad breath. Gum disease can also affect your overall health and increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke.
• Prevent tooth decay, which can cause pain, infection, and damage to your teeth and nerves. Tooth decay can also affect your chewing, speaking, and smiling abilities.
• Brighten your smile by removing the stains and discolouration caused by food, drinks, tobacco, and aging. A brighter smile can boost your confidence and self-esteem.
• Save money by avoiding the need for more expensive and complex dental treatments in the future. A regular dental checkup is a cost-effective investment in your oral health and well-being.
How often do you need a regular dental check-up?
O’Connor Dental Surgery dentists recommend that you have a regular dental checkup every six months or more often if you have specific dental issues or concerns. However, the frequency of your dental check-up may vary depending on your individual needs and risk factors, such as your age, medical history, oral hygiene habits, and lifestyle. Your dental practitioner will advise you on the best schedule for your regular dental check-up.
What can you expect from a regular dental checkup?
A regular dental checkup usually consists of a dental examination and a dental cleaning.
During the dental examination, the dentist will:
- Ask about your dental and medical history, such as previous dental work, medications, and allergies.
• Look inside your mouth for any signs of tooth decay, gum disease, oral cancer, or other dental problems. They may use special instruments, such as a dental mirror, a probe, or an explorer, to check your teeth and gums more closely.
• Take dental x-rays, if necessary, to check for tooth decay, infections, impacted teeth, bone loss, or other issues that are not visible to the naked eye. Dental x-rays are safe and painless, and they use very low levels of radiation.
• Discuss with you the results of your dental examination, and explain any dental issues or concerns that they have found. They will also advise you on the best treatment options and preventive measures for your oral health.
After the dental examination, our dentist or a dental hygienist will perform a dental cleaning, which involves:
- Scaling: This is the process of scraping and removing sticky plaque and hard tartar deposits from teeth, especially below the gum line. It helps prevent gum disease and tooth decay.
• Polishing: This is the process of smoothing and shining your teeth using a rubber cup, a polishing paste, and an air-polishing device. This helps remove any remaining stains and plaque that the scaling could not reach.
• Flossing: This is the process of using dental floss to remove any plaque and debris from between your teeth and under your gums. This helps prevent cavities and gum inflammation.
• Fluoride treatment: This is the process of applying a fluoride gel or varnish to your teeth to strengthen the enamel and prevent decay. Fluoride is a natural mineral that helps to protect your teeth from acid attacks by bacteria.
Regular dental check-ups are a simple, painless, and effective way to keep your teeth and gums healthy and prevent dental problems. You can ensure your smile and health are in good shape by visiting us regularly and following the Dentist’s advice on oral hygiene, diet, and fluoride use.
If you want to book a regular dental check up with us, please contact us or book an appointment online. We are happy to provide you with the best dental care possible.