Extractions are dental procedures that involve removing teeth that are damaged, decayed, infected, or impacted. Extractions can help relieve pain, prevent infection, and improve your oral health and appearance.
At O’Connor Dental Surgery, we offer safe and comfortable extractions for various reasons, such as:
• Severe tooth decay or damage that cannot be repaired by fillings, crowns, or other restorationss
• Gum disease that has loosened or infected the teeth
• Crowded teeth that interfere with orthodontic treatment or proper bite alignment
• Impacted wisdom teeth that cause pain, swelling, or damage to the adjacent teeth or gums
We use the latest technology and techniques to ensure a smooth and painless extraction process.
We also provide personalized care and advice on preparing for and recovering from the extraction.
The process of getting an extraction usually involves the following steps:
• We will examine your mouth and take x-rays to assess the condition and position of your tooth
• We will discuss your treatment options and explain the benefits and risks of the extraction
• We will give you a local anaesthetic to numb the area and make you comfortable during the procedure
• We will use special instruments to loosen and remove the tooth from the socket
• We will place a gauze pad over the socket to stop the bleeding and promote healing
• We will give you instructions on how to care for the extraction site and prevent complications
The recovery time after an extraction varies depending on the type and number of teeth removed. You may experience some pain, swelling, and bleeding for a few days, which can be managed by painkillers, ice packs, and soft foods. You should also avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, or rinsing your mouth vigorously for the first 24 hours. You should brush and floss your teeth gently, avoiding the extraction site. You should also visit us for a follow-up appointment to check the healing and remove any stitches if needed.
Extractions are a common and effective way to treat dental problems and improve oral health and quality of life. You can ensure a successful and speedy recovery by visiting us regularly and following our instructions.
If you want to learn more about extractions and how they can help you, please contact us or book an appointment online. We are happy to answer your questions and provide you with the best dental care possible.